Hofstra University’s Association of Black Journalists (HUABJ) is an organization focused toward the development of minorities on campus in the various fields of communication.
• It is intended to serve as a networking tool between aspiring and professional journalists.
• Its role on Hofstra’s campus is to exchange ideas and information with people and organizations concerned with people of color in the media and to critique the media’s portrayals of minorities in their respective presentations.
• HABJ also works with professors and administrators to make the curricula of the University’s journalism department relevant to the coverage of minority communities.
• To sensitize local media to institutional racism in their coverage and employment practices.
• To assist the local community in its understanding of media.
We feel that this is an entity that Hofstra University is missing based on the current state of the communications department. Membership in HABJ is open to students without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or disability.
Check out our official website: Click Here